Image credit:Sixties Edinburgh
Originally founded by the altruistic Lady Glenorchy, as a free church for the less-wealthy of Edinburgh’s populace to worship, the chapel was constructed in 1846, as a replacement for the original site, which was demolished in 1844 to make way for the development of Edinburgh Waverley rail station.
The congregation merged with other branches of the church over the next 100 years, eventually becoming known as the Hillside Parish Church. In 1978 the congregation merged fully with the nearby, and much larger, Greenside Church, and the Lady Glenorchy fell from ecclesiastical use.
The old chapel then underwent a variety of guises, including a carpet warehouse; until in 1986 permission was granted to develop the site, on the condition the then 140-year old façade was retained. After much discussion, building work finally commenced in 2000, and 3 years later, the site was reintroduced to the city of Edinburgh as The Glasshouse Hotel.